Friday, January 27, 2006

A Majority Minority

I want to be liked. I want to be accepted. I want my views to be easily agreed with; not seen as a source of contention. I think most people have similar wishes and desires. Something uniquely human drives us all to find acceptance even if it is with a small band of similar cohorts.

Yet I have a point of view and I have defining characteristics, convictions, and ideas. Once upon a time, "the majority" ruled this nation and your convictions and ideas were acceptable if in this group. The country was not necessarily better during this period, just different. Now the pendulum has swung to the opposite extreme. It seems like the only people that can have a voice without having the PC police arrest them are the minority. If I am black, hispanic, or asian...I can be racist and even joke about it. If I am homosexual, I can lend my voice to why this lifestyle is right and good. If I am a woman, I can speak on issues of my body, my choices, my career vs. child rearing, and my sexuality. If I am an addict, I can speak on the disease that I was born with and helpless to defy. If I am rich, I can whine about daddy not paying any attention to me. If I am poor, I can blame the government, my neighbor, and God above. If I am Muslim, Buddhist, Morman, or Scientologist, I can speak about my oppression and demand to be recognized as legitmate and true.

If I am a Christian, Bible believing, white, middle-class, heterosexual, drug free, male...

...I better keep my mouth shut. For me to have an opinion is just a display of intolerance and absurdity.

11 comments:

Johnny Dingo said...

CONCUR! I seem to have the same problem. I can't seem to open my mouth sometimes without getting into trouble with some group!

Dark Syde said...

I agree whole heartedly!!! People forget the 1st admenment protects the freedom of speech you agree with, but allo the speach you do not agree with!

ILEX said...

What is wrong with society today? Why can't we all just realize that everyone is different and not care so much about it. Stupid white male Christian presidents. :)

I agree with you here. Kudos to you.

JB said...

yeah straight middle class white guys like us are screwed.... sorta.

The Mayor said...

Is it wrong that I found humor in this?

So true, so true.

TheEdge said...

Not wrong at all. While I tend to interject some serious tone to some of my posts, I like to stick with a cutting sarcasm and touch of humor. We all have opinions. The only reason to read my stuff is if you get a kick out of it in some small way. Thanks to all of you for the commentary. I especially like Michael's comment below. Very funny!

Michael said...

...I better keep my mouth shut. Peace.

Edward said...

I'm Latino and I don't think I can be racist and joke about it!

TheEdge said...

I think yours is a personal choice that does not take away from my statements. Carlos Mencia is a perfect example of a Latino telling racial jokes. And while I do not desire full permission to speak ill of races and groups (nor do I want to), my point was that I would be lenched for even trying.

Interestingly this was more about my freedom to be a conservative Christian then it was about anything else. We are a very unpopular and undesirable bunch these days. Sadly, I even understand why to some extent.

Edward said...

I see. You're right...there are some comedians that get high off putting down other races. I don't find them funny and I am disgusted at times. I guess if history was reversed and black people or Latinos didn't have the struggle for rights in history, and whites were the minority throughout we might see whites talking about blacks and latinos without a hitch. Very sad, and I see where you're coming from..good post.

Andy Anonymous said...

Minorities don't rule in this country; rich people do. Ethnic and religious differences are what rich people keep the rest of us focused on through the media so we don't turn our attention to the real inequalities we face, between us and them.