Tuesday, June 20, 2006

(Insert Cliche Here)

Art is life. Life is art. Life imitates art? I am not sure what the catchphrase is but I think I finally get it.

I am a strange brew in case the 90+ blog posts contained herein haven’t given you a clue. Most people by my observations are either artistic or business oriented. They are either emotional or stoic. Right brained or left. Somehow the powers above converged as I formed in my mothers womb and created an anomaly.

I spent 6 years in two different art schools yet own and operate a staffing firm in Dallas Texas. I am a photographer who has created beautiful artwork yet used those same skills to land professional wedding gigs. I can be uber emotional for someone of the male persuasion, yet threaten to box you in the next breath. I am a huge nerd with my knowledge of facts, figures, and useless trivia but have quite a social tool belt that allows me to intermingle with the various clicks of the world. I am a lazy lump on a log given the chance to relax but have quite the athletic record of accomplishment in my fargone past and more recent past with plans to continue (see cycling posts).

So defining who I am has been pretty difficult for me. And who really ever gets a true sense of self in their lifetime anyway? But this post is about a realization more than it is about me. Having the unique perspective of the artist and entreprenure allows me to see a univeral thread. Whether I have created something meant to be artistic or just to pay the bills, it all has the same fiber. The same journey and the same steps are taken with the same conclusion at the end.

It’s cliché but hind sight is 20/20 and I have discovered that art and/or the act of creation is about the journey not the end. Yet I constantly work for the end, the accomplishment, and the treasures that are bound to come with it.

Case(s) in point:

As I sit here typing I have a 2X1 poster of me riding the MS150. There are a total of 3 poses. One where I am grimaced in pain, another taking a turn with a look of determination, and another that properly displays my game face. I sit here viewing these photos with jealousy in my heart. That guy is doing something. He is suffering through hills, piercing heat, muscle aches, and all the while counting down the miles and trudging along. I am jealous that I cannot be a part of that right now. Ironically the guy in those pictures is only thinking about the end. The end of the pain, the end of the hills, the end of intense weekly workouts that consume family time.

Other examples in my life are in abundant supply. I am just starting to “make it” with my staffing branch but will likely need another year or two before riches truly fall from the sky. I have a portfolio of my photography efforts that take me back to my passionate roots. I have trophies and medals from sports events. I have memories of my mission trips to Mexico building homes. I have this blog that is nearing 100 posts in a matter of 5 months and beginning to see some fans and decent traffic. And the one commonality in my every experience, every accomplishment, and every failure is...

I cannot wait to complete the task at hand.



Only I get to that place and wonder…

What next?

Enjoy the journey. The end is not always the best part.

5 comments:

Carolanne said...

If there is no joy in the journey and no 'light at the end' a lot of journeys would not be started or would be left unfinished.
But it is the bumps, the potholes, the frustrations, the determination and the sense of accomplishment that make the end so much sweeter. I suppose that means that the end is therefore, the icing on the cake.
I did enjoy reading this post and it's making me think. :)

Neil said...

Thanks for the provocative post. I'm also a task completer, and it can be a good and a bad trait. Is there a support group out there for us?

I should get some photo tips from you sometime. I'm just a wannabe photographer. I find that the better the camera I have, the better the photographer I am :-). I rationalized my way into getting an Canon EOS 20D with a few good lenses because I take lots of photos of my daughter's ballet concerts and on mission trips. But all I use are the autofocus settings (portrait, sport, auto).

TheEdge said...

Carolanne,

I agree that the end is great. Accomplishing a goal, completing a project, or creating artwork all have their payoffs. I have just come to realize that the process of completing that task is every bit as valuable and sometimes moreso.

Neil,

I am unaware of support groups but maybe you and I can lean on one another. My photography skills and knowledge wither on the vine more and more with each year that I let my camera collect dust. However, I still know a few things and will try to answer questions if you have anything specific. Canon is a great brand and I have an older EOS model with three lenses. And while it is nice to know how to manually set a camera and how each component affects the image, it can also be overrated. When in a hurry you don't have time to play with the various formulas so I too use a lot of auto-settings (especially for weddings). These days, the auto features are so high-tech that the only reason to manually set anything is to achieve a specific effect. Happy shooting.

Chris said...

Here's my cliche. Look fear in the eye. ............ unless that fear is a grizzly bear. Then crap your pants and run is the correct thing to do.

Posted by chris on Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 10:36 AM (Cut & Paste from MySpace)

TheEdge said...

Very deep. And practical.