Monday, October 02, 2006

Cry Challenge

I’ve said it before, so I supposed admitting it again won’t hurt…I am a wuss. I think last time I used the word pansy. Life is cyclical in so many ways. I started out as a very sensitive child. Overly sensitive might even be the proper analysis. Through hard knocks, some training from dad, and the sheer need to assimilate into this fraternity called manhood, my sensitive side faded. Insults no longer pierced the armor. Physical pain might cause me to wince but dry eyes never let loose their precious saline bounty. I became rock solid and still am in many ways.

But the circle has me on a path of revisiting my inner child. The strangest things get me going. It always starts out the same. A big and impossible lump begins to form in my throat. If I don’t immediately put the kibosh on this…tears begin to well up and spill over. Maybe this return isn’t so bad. As an adult, who do I have to impress these days anyway? If another man is not so inclined to join my pansy party, then good for him. To each their own.

In my last installment of this sort, I confessed to three things that had recently got the rain drop machine to churning. So in keeping with tradition, here are the most recent tidbits. Oh…and you might be wondering about the title. This is a challenge of sorts. I am quite sure that a few of you will pass with no problem. However, I know that this will at the very least touch you. And if that fails…I will officially be scared of you.

Crocodile Hunter – I talked about him in a
previous post, stunned by the animal that caused his end. But recently on 20/20 Barbara Walters interviewed his spouse. Most of the interview was sad but almost none of it cause waterworks for me. I love animals and all but her passion and Steve’s are off the scale…so I just could not relate in many cases. Then she talked of her son. Lump forming…we have a blip on the radar. She caught her son walking to the garage armed with a screwdriver. Curious, she followed to see what he was doing. There he was, clanging away at Steve’s old motorcycle engine…not really using the tool correctly but making noise as though something was getting accomplished. Lump growing…saline alert…code yellow. She inquired as to what he was doing and this was his reply, “I am fixing daddy’s old bike so he has something to ride in heaven.” Code red, mayday, mayday, we have spillage. Begin evacuation plans. Granted…being a parent helps. Imagining my son doing something like this should I meet with an untimely death is what really got to me. But I couldn’t help but sit there and wonder why I managed to let the Crocodile Hunter of all people affect me is such a way.

Autistic Basketball Player – The video speaks for itself. I found it on one of my favorite funny sites of all places. This boy served as the basketball assistant since his limitations kept him from actually playing competitively. Depsite his handicap, he ingratiated himself to the team and was their number one fan. Then a chance presented itself…
click here. (I post links quite often and realize that some of you do not follow them. All links on this post are well worth your time. Plus you cannot claim to have passed the challenge unless you actually participate.)

A Father’s Love – If by now you have remained unaffected, this is my biggest challenge of the three. Again, being a parent helps but you will likely get something from this regardless. The
link here will give you the full back-story which in and of itself is touching. I had received the story in an email and liked it but never got pushed over the line of wussery. This time was different because the page you will visit has a video at the end (so scroll down after reading the story). You can actually watch this amazing father take his very handicapped son on some wild adventures. I am counting on this third installment to finally get even the best of you to fail my test. Please let me know the results of this challenge in your commentary.

I suppose a prize should be awarded to the winner. I will have to think of something good to give out. A heart transplant might cost too much but that is all that immediately comes to mind ;).

14 comments:

Adam said...

kudos for being man enough to admit you get emotional occasionally. I've lost it before during a life insurance commercial which lasted 30 seconds so you're among good company. Cheers.

Angry Young Man said...

Every dude cries. Whether it's during Rudy or Brian's Song or Bugs Bunny playing dead so Elmer Fudd fawns over him, we've all done it.

TheEdge said...

That Buggs Bunny gets me everytime. Glad to be in good company.

Jon said...

I have to admit. I've seen those videos before, but it still gets to me.

Ken Tuccio said...

Everyone cries sometimes ...

TheEdge said...

REM should make a song about that.

Johnny Dingo said...

Though I couldn't get the basketball video to run, I'd seen it before. The Dick and Rick story I knew also, but yah, ya got me teary there too. Real men do cry! Men who can't or won't let themselves cry probably make pretty lousy husbands and fathers. Thanks for sharing.

JanieJane said...

Wow, thanks for the release. It's been, like, forever since I've cried. I think something is wrong with my chromosomes and I really should have been born a guy. I'm even scratching myself right now.

*Belch*

TheEdge said...

As always Janie...you crack me up!

Captain Amazing said...

It's rather amazing that he was able to run the race by himself, let alone pulling and pushing his son.

Quite a tear jearker.

tonymation said...

The only one that pulls the hint of a tear from me was the story of Steve's son.

I have seen the basketball story and just thought it was really cool, but never got choked up about it.

I felt the same about the third story... it's a really amazing story that strikes me as really cool, but not a tear jerker for me either.

I guess something may be wrong with me today, because I am typically more sensitive than the average guy.

Flashman said...

Ok, I guess I'll be the first souless, heartless bastard on here. You know, I'll tear up as much as any guy. I get misty when Blue dies in Old School, and King Triton gets turned into whatever the hell that thing is he gets turned into.

I felt like the interview was over produced, and set up to get a reaction from the audience. And I know that was their goal. But it was too produced, in my opinion, and took away from some of the authenticity. And anytime someone famous dies tragically, their kids always seem to have something special, it just varies between families. Come on, who didn't see that coming?

That basketball thing was cool. I've seen it before.....a lot. And i dug it the first couple of times. But after ESPN kept playing it, over and over and over, I got tired of it. Sure, it was cool, but come on, we've all seen it before, only the characters were changed. ANd they want to make a movie now!?!?!?! Holy crap, that will be 15 min.of quality cinema. And how many movies have there been about this same type of thing, just a different sport. Some retard makes a couple of shots, and everyone loses it!

And finally, I hate Rick Reilly, so I think I may have been jaded about that story. It is very touching. But like I said, I hate Rick Reillly. He ruined it for me right off the bat, basically implying that screw what you do with/for your kids, this guy has a handicapped son and look what he has done for him! He's a better person then you are, because.....!

No tears, but kudos none the less. Well, atleast I never have to worry about a heartattack right???

TheEdge said...

Thanks to all for your commentary. I feel some of my best posts are the ones where I point my sarcastic slams toward myself. Don't feel bad if these stories did not get an emotional response. Everyone has different triggers.

And...after some personality profile research I am starting to understand that my pansy roots may have more to do with my inborn traits and less to do with an actual decision to be more sensitive.

Hopefully these kinds of posts are at least entertaining, even if they fail to be relatable!

Flashman said...

I enjoy all your blogs Edgy. Don't change on my account. I enjoy the coal I get every Christmas.