Suppose the ONLY truth in the entire universe is this equation: 2+2=4. Continue to suppose that this truth reveals the identity of God as your creator and sums up everything He stands for and all that He requires of you. Still with me? Good. I am trying to keep this simple. In this analogy your entire life’s goal is just to find this equation and come to know it as truth. What’s the catch? Well you are going to have lots of obstacles and influences that will do everything possible to prevent this from happening. Think you can stand up to the challenge?
Essentially this is how I have come to see and explain the Christian dynamic as an answer to life. I am often asked or told things like this:
1. How can you pretend to know the mind of God?
2.What’s true for me is not necessarily true for everyone, right?
3. There are no absolutes.
4. How can you say that your religion is the only right one with so many other choices out there?
5. Can we really ever know truth?
6. We are all part of a universal consciousness and in a sense little gods of our own.
7. There cannot be ONE way to God.
More examples abound but you get the point. You may or may not like the Christian answer to all of this but essentially the culprit that explains it all is “Free Will.” I assert that God and His ways are the only truth. I assume those of you that are Christian have no problem with that and those of you that are not Christian can at least see how I might have come to such a conclusion being a theist. In order for God to give us any choices other than Himself (the embodiment of truth) He had to allow for something other than truth to exist.
Let’s play a game for a moment. Suppose an entity that Christians propose exists really does…that of God and that of Satan. All God wants for us is to use the gift of Free Will that he has afforded us to search for him and the truth of 2+2. Satan’s entire goal is to keep you from discovering this and deceiving as many as he possibly can during a set period of time.
What types of things would Satan try in order to keep truth from the hands of those that might seek it?
1. Might he first assert the proposition that there is no such thing as the numbers 2 or 4 much less a way in which to put them together to form an equation? Sure…that might work for some but what about people that figure out that is a lie?
2. Well ok…the number 2 and the number 4 exists but you cannot make any sense out of them. Still not fooled?
3. Ok 2+2 does actually exist but it certainly does not equal 4. How about now?
4. Fine, fine 4 is one of the answers but there are many other answers as well.
5. How about this? Let’s grant you that 2+2 is an equation and it does lead to truth. What if I told you the actual answer is 3.99999999999999? Or how about 4.0000000000001?
6. Now…just to make this even harder for you, Satan then goes on to sew all of these lies to multitudes of people even inciting them to be angry at you should you discover and tout the truth in any way shape or form (Ex: Modern-day Political Correctness).
Hard enough yet? Well the fact is there are many more falsehoods than the ones I list above and they come from much craftier a source than my brain. It is a rough and tumble world. All I can recommend is that you challenge the promise of Scripture and see where it leads:
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
This is God’s promise that though we live with many distractions, lies, and pitfalls…He will personally reveal that 2+2=4 if you seek Him in earnest. I bid you well on your journey!