Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Apologetic Resources

In my last post I shared the idea that I might put together a page or several pages of resources that have been helpful to me in my adventures of amateur apologetics. Though I have no formal training and though I rely heavily on my own self-styled version of sharing the Gospel, I do often get in over my head and have to research in order to offer my critics the best possible answers. This page will be the "rough draft" version for now. I hope to modify and add to this as time passes and who knows? Maybe an entire web-page separate from my blog can eventually blossom from this idea. Enjoy!

My YouTube Channel - This is where I am currently engaged in apologetics. My blog is a good source as well but only recently have I been active here again. And of course I hope to always identify real world opportunities to share with people. I am not sure if my videos will be a useful resource for you but my hope is that you at least can get an idea of the types of people I am talking to and what kinds of questions they tend to throw at you.

Lee Strobel - This man was instrumental in my conversion to Christianity. He was an atheist with a law degree reporting for a Chicago based newspaper when his wife first announced that she had become a believer. Feeling quite upset about this fact after spending many years in marriage to a fellow atheist, he set out to disprove and debunk everything about the Faith. His journey through that process is captured in the book called, The Case for Christ. However the hyperlink I am inserting here will take you to video series called, The Case for a Creator. There are 7 parts to the series...so be sure to watch them all.

Randall Niles - One of my videos, called Statistical Probability called for me to do some research. I wanted to know the odds of one man being able to fulfill every prophesy made about Christ. Of course the point was to demonstrate that Jesus must be who He claimed to be since the odds of anyone actually being able to fit the prophesies in question were astronomical. My search led to a site hosted by the above named man. Interestingly he, like Strobel, was once an atheist. Also interesting to me was that he was on YouTube. I have since contacted Randall and done what I can to promote his channel. He is an awesome guy and has tons of resources that should help you out. His websites alone would take you months to dig around in.

Intelligent Design - This science is often misunderstood to be Creation Science. And while the two are compatible they are not the same. I.D. does nothing more than use the scientific method to introduce the theory that everything exists from an intentional designer. It offers no commentary on Genesis, the literal six day creation of the Universe, or who this designer may or may not be. I enjoy studying the topic and find it a useful tool when engaging a very gung-ho science minded critic. There are more sources than what I am linking you to here but please take the time to watch all five parts of this video series.

Online Bible - There are many sources but I use BibleGateway.com more often than not. The benefit to an online Bible is the key word search function. Often I look for specific passages to quote but do not always remember what book, chapter, and verse to turn to. Simply typing in a few key words that I know to be in the passage usually gets me directly to where I need to go. This site has one page in particular that links you to every single book and chapter of the Bible. And most recently they have added an audio feature that I find useful while I am working and just want to listen to Scripture.

Bible Contradictions - Critics to apologetics will hit you with multiple objections but perhaps the most common and sometimes the hardest to overcome is the "supposed" contradictions they have found in The Bible. For instance if you read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John's account of the Crucifixion, each person reports a different amount of women that were at the tomb. Some list only Mary Magdalene, while others seem to report two, three, and four other women with her. To me this kind of detail is ridiculous to scrutinize because the point of the Gospels is not contingent on the amount of women that found and empty tomb but rather that the tomb is consistently empty in every account given. However, your skeptics will challenge you on things like this and its best to bone up and prepare.

More sources to come! Bookmark this page and come back occasionally to view what has been added.

0 comments: