Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Subjective Evidence

On YouTube I have made a mistake that I aim to remedy. The demand of my skeptics is that I supply reason and evidence for my faith in accordance with their rules. It seems an understandable request and I have done my best for several years now to comply. Yet much of the fingerprint that God leaves on my life is contained in my day to day walk with Him. Knowing that the Atheist finds any personal stories of this kind to be subjective, I have in some ways, chosen not to tell very many.

This is where I have entered into error. Our personal testimonies, whether about our initial conversion, or just about how God is working in our lives today are some of the most powerful stories we have…subjective or not. And so long as people find me credible in every other walk of life, why not share personal encounters of the super-natural and expect to be taken seriously? Sure, it does open up a door by which the critics can then accuse you of being out of touch with reality or just down right delusional. But I am not out to win popularity contests. Nor am I looking for a reputation that is revered by a fallen world.

This is not to say that arguing logic, reason, and Christian apologetics is a worthless pursuit. I plan to continue and improve in that vein as well. But when God reaches into the fabric of my life and does something as obvious as He did just yesterday, it seems only pertinent that I share that AND give Him the proper glory. The Holy Spirit works with believers like this all of the time. I think He works with the unbeliever as well but mostly in the calling of such a person to come to Christ. I urge you to answer that call if you haven’t already!

In the meantime, please view the following video testimony about yesterday’s events and be sure to leave your commentary:




13 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

all right, Jim! that's great...I agree with you. Why must we play by their rules on a topic they deny and know nothing about? How about US making the rules of engagement? Well done. I'm with you all the way.

Vicky P. said...

Wild! God does this kind of thing for me all the time! I'm soooooo glad there's someone else out there who knows exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe I should start a notebook too :)

thebereanchannel said...

Good vid man...Godbless

spikesofgrace said...

good stuff dude :) i've got so many stories like that! God is SO good!

daniephillips77 said...

Thanks for sharing Edge.

brainouty said...

Yep, Edge! I started a list several times; within months it was so long I couldn't keep it up. Too many things happen daily to list them, now.

Good video on the real inner workings of the spiritual life. These same 'contacts' are shown pan-Bible. We don't expect them to happen to us; but they do, if we are alert. 1John1:9 is vital to that alertness.

Like my pastor used to quip: 'the spiritual life is a supernatural way of life, and demands a supernatural means of execution.'

kevinscales said...

You should also make a list of times when your prayers have not been answered, or have a control experiment where you don't pray for things that you feel you should. Write down all the results and you will have something which is much closer to objective evidence. Or you could compare the wellbeing of a whole bunch of people who pray like you do and people who don't pray and see if there is any significant difference. If doing this could prove that god is real, then isn't it worth doing?

TheEdge said...

There are a few problems with your suggestion off the top that I can see:

1. My list is not just a prayer request answered list. It is documentation of every event that does not just have a simple explanation by which I believe God to have interacted with me.

2. An unanswered prayer is not proof of God or against Him. My children often ask me for things that I do not grant (Ex: Cookies for breakfast). Telling them no has no bearing on my authority or my existence.

3. Lastly, though I would love to somehow scientifically notate things in a way that would prove to the world that God exists with zero doubt...(a) He probably would not allow it since he tells us we must approach him by faith and (b) it would cheapen my walk/relationship with Him to treat it like a science fair project.

12daniel7 said...

AMEN & AMEN-HALLELUJAH-THANK-YOU-JESU­S. What a Blessing. Congrats. I am Praying for you, and your family.The gestation and birth of a child, GOD'S greatest Works, GOD"S gift to mankind.THANK-YOU-JESUS. Father we come before you, Humbled as we stand @ the Foot of the Cross, your gift to us for the : fruit of the Holy Spirit ( Gal. 5:22), Eternal Life, and Healing, we ask Humbly for your Grace upon the Edge, his family, and the birth of their child., we ask this in your Son's name Jesus Christ.

696codeman said...

ok and you dont think that your brain was capable of thinking, hey my wife is having blood taken geez i hope she dosent faint.

ok well my question is that if she had havve fainted does this mean god dident listen to you.

i think your bar for miraciles is very low if not fainting wile giving blood is one of them. as far as i can see this little excercise is more subjective then evidence.

TheEdge said...

If this was a stand alone story of proof, you would be correct in concluding that my bar is low. But this is just one of many instances like this and several of my experiences are even more incredible. Also you need to understand that layers of this story and everything that is "miraculous" here. 1. That my sigularly focused brain which was fully engaged in payroll even had an interrupting thought about something I had no reason to be worrying about in the first place. 2. That this interrupting thought was SO specific. 3. That this led me to pray for my wife as I could have just shrugged it off. 4. That when finally speaking with my wife, all of the details of my thoughts were confirmed.

Even if you conclude that my brain should get the proper credit for ALL of this and God was not involved, you have to admit that something "extra" normal, "para" normal, or miraculous was at work. I don't see a naturalistic way to explain this story.

I of course DO give God the credit because I know this was the Holy Spirit.

grumpychuck said...

I like new babies!  I have a feeling this one will be a keeper...

TheEdge said...

That's funny. I have a feeling we'll keep him too!! LOL.