Monday, February 28, 2011

Featuring: Robyn

Editors Note: Meet my sister-in-law, Robyn. She has many stories to tell but for the purpose of this feature, would like to discuss how she has overcome certain challenges that life endowed her with from birth. Robyn hopes to be an encouragement to you and has made it clear to me that she invites persons to make contact with her if they wish. Whether or not you actually deal with a similar physical challenge, you will certainly be able to relate to life’s hard knocks as she tells her story. Through it all she has not only prevailed and improved personally but she often takes the time necessary to reach out to others. One such recent effort has been through an online connection established on Facebook. She has been boldly sharing her Christian belief's with this contact and doing what she can to answer questions & objections. We talked at length about this in the original footage of her video. However she asked me afterwards to cut that segment so as to keep this person anonymous and preserve the integrity of the sincere dialog that is taking place. This humble spirit is one of many reasons that I gladly highlight Robyn in this week’s Feature Post!




Robyn's Bio

I was born march 14th 1978 in Denver, Colorado. I was the second of two girls.

I was born with a very rare yet non hereditary birth defect commonly known as PFFD  which stands for Proximal Femoral Focal Deficiency. (I guess you can see why people call it PFFD).  My condition was so rare at the time I was born and diagnosed with it that only 1 in 100,000 cases where documented. I am sure that statistic has grown since then.

I’d like to take a moment and just share exactly what PFFD is. Having this condition basically means that I was born missing the upper portion (femur part of my left leg). When I was three yrs old my orthopedic doctor decided to amputate my left leg and fitted me with a prosthetic limb. I still remember being in the hospital and many details of the days and weeks surrounding the procedure.
I also remember the first time I had to walk with my “new leg”.   It was interesting to say the least.

During childhood I do remember feeling different and that at times made me frustrated.   But my parents always made sure to treat me as normally as possible and let me do things for myself as often as was possible. I am truly grateful for that. I am also grateful that I was raised in a strong Christian Home where I always knew that God was there for me. The older I've become the more I can see that The Lord never gives you anything you can’t handle. In recent years I've begun to understand that perhaps God has allowed me to experience this Physical Challenge to bring him Glory . I am still in the process of discovering how God is working in my life but one thing I do know is that He has already worked many miracles! And I know he will continue to do so.  Not because I deserve it but because He gracious. I am humbled by how He has walked by my side through all of my ups and downs regarding my PFFD. I know He will continue to walk with me and I am excited to see where He will lead.

17 comments:

Cindy Kalinowski said...

Robyn - a year ago I would have started this comment with "although I don't know you very well", but now that I have heard your story I feel like I know you very well. Thank you for sharing. I think you are a strong, amazing, beautiful Christian women! I look forward to your funny and always positive comments on Facebook! You are an inspiration to me as I am sure you are to many! I can't wait to read your book (so get busy)! Agape - Cindy

Molly said...

Robyn!! Thanks for sharing! It takes SO MUCH COURAGE to share your testimony face to face with someone, and what an INCREDIBLE amount of courage it takes to share your story on the internet! I am so proud of you and I know God has created you for something special! You said your long term goal is to live for the Lord and you are doing it! Keep sharing your story because you never know who's listening and how you might encourage someone on their path. Thanks for your positive outlook and your raw honesty. I agree with Cindy, get to writing that book, girl!

Robyn B. said...

Thank you Jim for allwoing me the privalege to share my story. well done on the video editing by the way:)

Joye M. said...

Thank you, Robyn. You have a wonderful testimony of your love for the Lord.

Jon R. said...

My heart is glad that you are always so positive. You have a powerful story, and it is so cool you are using it for the glory

Dee M. said...

I can't seem to post on the site but wanted to say thank you for being so courageous and seeing that there is good even through tough times. Your story inspires me to see that God's plan is much larger than I can imagine. You have overcome obstacles and shined for God. I am blessed to know you and your family! Thank you!

Jane P. said...

Wow! I never have heard Robyn's story before. What incredible strength and faith, to never give up on the Lord. Having struggled with depression, I know how hard it can be to battle your way back. Keeping positive is the key and Robyn has found it! Praise the Lord! I am honored and humbled by her story. Love ya, gal! Jane

Mike R. said...

great stuff Jim! shalom!

ThePastorMike said...

wonderful interview!

American Wayne said...

Wow! I've never even heard of PFFD until now.

Huckster271 said...

what a pleasant young lady...I have some ideas for that book...hee

Justin B. said...

Robyn is a strong and determined young lady with a positive outlook on life. She has been given a few curveballs in life but never once has backed down to a challenge. I admire and respect her very much!

Kelli S. said...

Robyn is always thoughtful and takes time to listen! Very sweet person that has overcome so much to make such a beautiful adult!

Jentry B. said...

More people need to be like Robyn. She lives life to the fullest and is strong in her faith with God. She lives for him and when you have priorities like that, everything else falls in line. She overcomes adversity and yet never complains. She is a great inspiration and an awesome person.

Nate and Jen Gustafson said...

Hey Robyn, Glad to hear you have such a positive and God desired outlook for your life! so appreciate how you always make me feel as a friend to you and your family and are so welcoming and desiring of people in your life!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Robyn,

"Well done, good and faithful servant!"

In His Grip,
Billy-B

Cristin said...

Robyn, this is absolutely amazing! How great that you are able to be open about obstacles you've faced and to turn your challenges into something positive. That is a great example for the rest of us! I'm so thankful that God brought you into our lives. You are truly a wonderful woman. Thanks for sharing and I hope there's more to come!

Much Love,
Cristin