Tuesday, March 08, 2011

What Does Your Marriage Hinge On?

It is with complete humility that I speak on this topic.  I am a rookie by all accounts in the realm of marriage having tied the proverbial knot in 2002.  I don't pretend to know the pain of divorce or how far reaching the  ripple effects cause damage.  As such, I do not judge any one persons individual journey in this regard.  And much of what I say here may or may not apply to your specific situation.  What I do believe I can comment on is what I've observed to be the most successful way to make marriage work.  I've seen it modelled to me in the marriage of my Grandparents, my own parents, and even my in-laws.  Between these three couples alone there is over a century of experience and success!  And though I am a rookie with lots of road ahead of me, I am coming up on 10 years in 2012.

For what its worth, I had an epiphany just the other day as I let my thoughts wander.  I soon found myself staring at a door hinge and an analogy for marriage hit me like a ton of bricks.  I've done my best in the following video illustration to recreate what I experienced.  My prayer is that this serves you and helps you to visualize the Biblical model of how this union is supposed to work.  I look forward to your comments and feedback:

4 comments:

KMc said...

You have quite a gift with writing from the heart. I enjoyed your analogy between marriage and the hinge. Ecc. 4:12 A cord of three strands is not easily broken. Wonderful advice, Jim, with a great challenge.

Tiffany P. said...

Awesome analogy!!!!! Miss you guys give Rachel a hug for us too!!!!

Jeremy said...

genius :) fantastic analogy

Pony and Petey said...

Thanks so much for the visual!! I'm glad you zone out every now and again = )