Monday, April 18, 2011

Cleaning It Out

If you are anything like me you really don't enjoy cleaning.  Therefore the only way to keep things clean is to not allow the clutter to stack up in the first place.  That is not too hard around my house.  Even if I dare leave an item out of its place for long, my wife will soon hone in on it and remind me.  Watch this if you need more evidence!  But my car, my office, and my desk at work seem to be the exceptions.  I tend to let the proactive organization idea fall by the way-side and sure enough...things start piling up.  Then you have my propensity for procrastination kick in and before long one might be tempted to nominate me for the show "Hoarders".

But I could be nothing further from a bonafide hoarder.  Because when I actually set my mind to clearing out the clutter, it (A) doesn't bother me to let something go and (B) I actually feel a burdensome weight has been lifted.  My rule of thumb when deciding whether something should be kept or thrown out is to ask myself a couple of questions:

How long has it been since I've seen or used this item?
If its been that long...do I really need it?

If the answer to question two is "no"...it goes.  When possible I try to donate items that are still in good condition that can benefit someone else.  But if that isn't the case then the trash bin fills up quickly.  Once the project is complete I tend to feel pretty amazing.  I make myself promises about not letting it get to that point again and I relish in the cleanliness.  It's as if we were made to enjoy things in an orderly, proper fashion.  And that is a strange realization from a guy whom without his wife, would likely be buried alive by the laundry piles he can manufacture.

Perhaps that is why so many verses in the Bible refer to living in holy and clean ways as a stark contrast to sin and death.  One side brings relief, comfort, and peace.  The other brings mountains of stress, baggage, and havoc.  I leave you with a verse that not only illustrates my point but also reminds us of the coming Easter celebration:

1 Corinthians 5:7 - Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

This "new lump" is praying a blessing on you and yours!

0 comments: