Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The "Unknown Friend" Request

Ever get that Friend Request on Facebook from someone that you don't know?  If you are like me a process must take place before dismissing or accepting the invite. 

  • I must first determine whether I don't know them because my Swiss-cheese-brain is failing to recall our former interactions or IF its truly because I don't know them.
  • Most times step one still leaves me wondering and unsure so I move to step two where I see how many "Friends in Common" we share.  The more a person has in common the more I begin to believe I SHOULD know this person and that my brain is just not making the connection.  When there are just a few or in some cases zero friends in common the more I begin to believe that I just don't know them.
  • If this process fails, I move on to other items that may give me a clue.  Most times you cannot see the full profile of a person until you accept them but often times there is some information on their page.  Perhaps its their high school or church...or sometimes its their college or work place.
  • Eventually your investigations must lead to a decision.  Do I friend a friend I don't really know but seems to know everyone in the world that I have ever hung out with since the age of six?  Do I friend and friend that has seemingly no connection to me whatsoever but may need a kind soul such as myself to accept them anyway?
This begs two questions that I would like you to answer:

1.  What are your steps/requirements when going through a similar friend acceptance decision?
2.  Have you ever invited someone that wasn't really acquainted with you to be your friend?  If so, give the details as to why.

1 comments:

Pastor Mike said...

I have my facebook account linked to my youtube account. Many people watch my youtube videos (most of whom I do not know), and they add me on facebook because they liked one of my videos. I usually accept their friend request, then place them in a group I call "youtube"; then every time I post a new video on Youtube I am able to post a reminder on their facebook wall to stop by and watch the video and share it on Facebook.