Monday, September 12, 2011

What's My Problem?

Confession time.  I LOVE to scare people.  Not big on the pretend-you-fall-off-the-roof kind of gag (I actually did that one for REALS).  I am more of the hide around a blind corner and jump out and say Boo kind of prankster. 

I first discovered this love early in life on the likes of my brother Jonathan.  Don't ask me how I managed to hide in the same place, bait him in the same way, and still get him to violently wriggle about while screaming at the top of his lungs...BUT I did.  Little brothers are great that way.  It seems curiosity kills more than just cats because Jon usually knew what I was up to but just like Charlie Brown thought just this once I might really have something very COOL to show him.

Fast forward to adutlhood, marriage, and fatherhood.  Such things should probably be left in kiddie-prank-land, no?  Well if so, I am guilty of the childlike crime because I still get those wonderful split-second-full-body-flinch wth eyes-bugging-out-of-head-whilst-screaming reactions from both of my five year olds as well as my wife.  I was VERY carefule to leave my wife alone during her pregnancy(s) and the kids alone until about age four.  But now all three are fair game and get that wonderous jolt of excitement from me on a regular basis.

And here's the rub.  Though they try, I never give any of my victims the satisfaction of a good reaction when and if the attempts to get me back are made.  It takes much poise and control because there have been times I've wanted to jump out of my skin...but I never cave.

What's wrong with me? 

Leave your guilty pleasure confessions in the comment section.

0 comments: