Thursday, October 20, 2011

Going Green

Slowly but surely I am getting the bug for "The Green" movement.  Smaller homes, alternative energy sources, home grown produce, off-grid contingency plans, and energy efficient methods/appliances are becoming very attractive to me...which admittedly is SURPRISING.

Why you ask?  Because I am not one that you would ever confuse with the tree-hugging, hippie variety that is really worried about his carbon footprint.  I don't believe much of the media hype over these issues and ultimately I put complete trust in God to take care of our needs.  If God wants the planet to be a healthy or sick, I don't think there is much we can do to to change the outcome.

I do realize, of course, that we bare some responsibility.  Scripture teaches us to be good stewards of our blessings and I do see the world we live in as one of those.  But my PRIMARY interest in this "Sustainable Living Lifestyle" is a bit more selfish.  Suddenly retirement seems much more feasible when you own a home that literally sustains itself without much help from the grid.

Most of the pioneers of this movement have some very nice all-be-they small homes that have self contained solar and wind power, rain catch systems with cistern containment and filtration systems, complete use of property for growing produce, and in some cases livestock like chickens or goats for eggs and milk.  At a minimum, these folks manage homes that have very minimal cost to maintain and therefore the annual income necessary to support it is also minimal.  But I have seen several set-ups where the home is completely sustainable with zero financial impact other than the initial investment and occasional need to repair equipment.

Much of what I would love to implement in my life though is not practical for a family of five or a spouse that would rather NOT play Little House On The Prairie with me.  So for now I may make a few small changes around my current home and see where things lead.  My small vegetable garden is a start.

For discussion purposes, here is a video that was sent to me yesterday via email.  In it we get to see the ugly side of this movement as it's slowly gone from personal choice to being legislated requirement.  I look forward to your thoughts...

3 comments:

4simpsons said...

Good points! I'm all for green (environmental) solutions that make green ($$$) sense. I've recycled newspapers since I as 10, and we've even paid for neighborhood recycling. I try to reduce, reuse and recycle to do the right thing and to save $$.

But the Solyndra-type "solutions" are a very expensive joke. Let the market decide these things. The best solutions will get rewarded and used.

Craig V said...

I could go on a good clip on this "green" stuff, but I have work and personal projects to do - I just like to say
1. it's full of a lot of chaos and deception by big greedy corporate folks and Big Oil.
2. I don't get the equating a "small house" with going green thinking - I need freakin' SPACE! Guess that's cause I'm an intellectual, creative, plant loving Renaissance eccentric sorta fellow - or I'm just a claustrophobic ;)

Mainstream culture causes us to overlook other sustainable source of energy, the first being hydrogen on demand - after the initial cost (not that much) it makes solar look rather inconsequential. And the goings on of government regulations and control don't concern me - that's man-centered groveling.

As a student of engineering and design I do have a few ideas in CADD and on paper I'd like to implement as soon as God gives me the go ahead ;)
My "dream home" will be so sufficient it could sell power back to the grid, but I'd rather stay off the grid and out of the reach of the beast and perhaps store it or give it away to neighbors.

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can shorten your urls with Shortest and get money for every click on your shortened urls.