Monday, October 31, 2011

How Evil Are You?

My wife and I tuned into a show on Discovery last night by the name of this blog post.  I had seen enough of the previews to know it wasn't just Halloween-themed propaganda.  In fact, the shows entire intent is to take a scientific look at the the word "evil" and try to classify whether or not, we as humans, qualify.

As a Christian, this intrigues me greatly.  To watch a secular study on what I consider to be man's spiritual depravity has all kinds of implications of interest to me.  Primarily...how will they determine the standards of "good" or "evil" without an absolute example (I.E. God)?  Beyond that curiosity, I am also already quite pleased with the first episodes conclusion, which is...that we are quite the evil bunch.

Don't get me wrong.  Knowing that we are evil people is depressing. But its no surprise to me either.  It is just the reality of living under the curse of our fall and rebellion against God. It also serves to prove what Scripture tells us in many places.  Take a look at Romans chapter 7 and read verses 7 through 25 for an example.  Embedded in those verses is this one:

18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.

Last nights episode challenged people to go against instructions and a perceived authority figure in order to prevent a random stranger on the other side of the wall from getting an ever increasing delivery of electrical shock.  This test was first administered in the 1960's and was called the Milgram Experiment.  After finding over 65% of his candidates failing this test, Dr. Milgram was quoted as saying, "If a system of death camps were set up in the United States of the sort we had seen in Nazi Germany, one would be able to find sufficient personnel for those camps in any medium-sized American town."

The Discovery channel's recreation of his test only rendered worse results as the percentage of those willing to do the right thing has continued to decrease.  Here's the good news or the flip side to these horrific conclusions:

  • Realization of our depravity is a necessary step in understanding the NEED for a Savior
  • Shattering this notion that "you are a good person" and surely God will allow "good people" into heaven will force those concerned about the fallacy to seek out the ACTUAL Gospel.

1 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

great post, Jim, it is a sad day, isn't it?