Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dublin VS Goliath = Boycott Dr. Pepper

For me or any other member of my immediate family to boycott Dr. Pepper and its products is a BIG deal.  Upon giving birth my Mom tells me I rejected her milk and would only drink bottles of DP.  At the age of five, I fell to the ground and skinned my knee.  Instead of blood, Dr. Pepper dripped out of the wound.  Another time when the car jack broke and our Oldsmobile pinned dad underneath, I took a quick tug of Dr. Pepper and lifted the vehicle off of him.  And just recently I had a demon possessed man come to me for help.  I prayed from him but being out of Holy Water, I grabbed a can of DP and spritzed him in the face.  I've never seen an evil spirit flee faster!

Ok...so maybe I am exaggerating.  But only a little bit.  Dr. Pepper really has been a mainstay product and staple in my life.  Both my parents, myself, and my brother have consumed it exclusively to just about any other cola choice...so long as its available (Mr. Pibb is NOT an acceptable alternative!).  We typically have a twelve pack or two on hand at any given time at home and order it just about every time we dine out.

So why Boycott this beloved drink of family heritage and lore?  Well its simple...corporate greed reared its ugly head and struck out at the little Dublin bottler and shut down its Dr. Pepper operation.  Dublin Dr. Pepper as it was once called has been in business for 120 years proudly sticking to the original recipe containing Imperial Sugar instead of corn based sweeteners and the time honored tradition of bottling the product in actual glass bottles.  Essentially this small town operation allowed the already excitable DP fan a more nostalgic experience.  In my humble opinion Dublin only made Dr. Pepper all the more great, marketable, and served as the cherry on top.

But someone at corporate came up with the brilliant idea to file suit against the bottler and shut down the manufacturing of the original formula despite having allowed the small plant to do so for a century previously.  Why?  No one knows for sure but Plano-based DP headquarters claims amongst its litany of reasons that Dublin (which accounts for less that 1% of DP sales) was selling outside of their designated 44 mile radius.  I highly doubt this it true but have NO doubt that they have found the product in stores and in homes of consumers that gladly drove into Dublin and bootlegged it out.  My brother has done this many times and Dallas is 90 miles from the bottling plant.

At the bare minimum I ask you, the loyal reader, to consider boycotting Dr. Pepper/Snapple/Cadburry products with me.  Its not enough to just boycott Dr. Pepper, the drink, since they also own:

7 Up, A&W Root Beer, A&W Cream Soda, Barrelhead Root Beer, Cactus Cooler, Canada Dry, Clamato, Country Time, Crush, Deja Blue, Diet Rite, Hawaiian Punch, Hires Root Beer, IBC Root Beer, Margaritaville, Mott's, Mr and Mrs T, Nantucket Nectars, Orangina Peñafiel, RC Cola, ReaLemon, Rose's Schweppes, Snapple, Squirt, Stewart's Fountain Classics, Sundrop, Sunkist, Venom Vernors, Welch's, and Yoo-hoo.

Also consider signing THIS PETITION, adding your name to the growing list of people that are fed up with this deplorable decision.


3 comments:

Pastor Mike said...

I used to drink Dr. Pepper (diet) ALL the time; however I recently switched to the Wal Mart generic, Dr. Thunder. Of course it is not exactly the same, and if Mr. Pibb is not a viable alternative to you, then Dr. Thunder may not suit your needs. However, given your current situation, you may consider giving it a try. At $.84 for a 2 liter, it's worth a try!

Jim said...

I may try that and I appreciate the recommendation. I will drink nothing but water if I have to though in order to keep my money out of Dr.Pepper/Snapple pockets. My hope is that they will see the public outcry and rectify the situation!

tonymation said...

I vow to boycott Dr Pepper!

It will be quite easy since I don't drink their products anyway...

But I'm indignant! I won't let a Dr Pepper product touch my lips!