Monday, January 30, 2012

It's Complicated

It seemed like such a simple question: 

"Daddy, who are the good guys and who are the bad guys?"

This weekend I introduced my six year old son to the Dukes of Hazzard.  He had been asking me about my childhood and the kinds of programs I liked.  I showed him the opening title sequence on the iPhone using the YouTube App and he was interested enough to ask for a full episode.

So the next morning we popped in a DVD of Season One and I am not sure who was more excited between the two of us.  It wasn't long into the plot that the questions began. Michael likes to know who everyone is, what team they play for, and how to categorize the characters in his mind.  It's usually only minutes after we turn off the TV that he is re-enacting every detail.

But his question stumped me a bit.  For one thing I felt strange telling him that Policemen were bad.  Or at least Roscoe was.  Enos was really nice but had to work for Boss Hog, so he was still kind of on the bad guys team.  Then you have the Dukes, who are on probation for running Moonshine and spend every episode evading arrest.  But somehow neither the dirty cops, the dirty politician pulling their strings, or the Moonshiners get their just deserve at the end of the day.  Its always some out of town gang that didn't know any better than to come to Hazzard County for the weekend.

I just told him who to root for and left the complexity of these details out of my answer. 

Just wait until he asks me about the Rebel flag!

0 comments: