Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Crisis Of Profession?

Ok, I admit it.  I didn't aspire as a child to grow up to be a recruiter.  The secret is out.  Actually this industry discovered me and saved me from Restaurant Management, so I should be grateful.  But instead I am having a bit of a crisis of professional direction these days and its taking a toll.  The operational aspects of this work are still well suited for my strengths.  Whether its speaking with clients or candidates looking for work, I am a people person.  I love to help clients meet their staffing goals and I love to help the unemployed obtain gainful employ.

And if that is all my job required, the current state of misery would be non-existent.  But like most jobs this one comes with a certain amount of responsibility that isn't fun, that doesn't make good use of my strengths, and is the source of enormous stress at times.  Just making sure, for instance, that you stay on top of collections so that you have enough money each week to fund 75 peoples payroll is about enough to send me to the funny farm.

There is more to it than this but I will spare you the details and the gripes.  I know I am a blessed man.  And I know that if God wants me to learn or enter into a new profession, He will open that door at the appointed day and time.  For now I leave you with a man who brightened my day.  His aspirations of being a street performer are being lived out.  But perhaps like me, he isn't quite as good as he'd like to be at it.

"Lord, please tell me I am not the staffing version of this?!"

0 comments: