Wednesday, June 13, 2012

ProActive or ReActive

I have had various times in life where I am searching.  Originally the search was for God Himself although I didn't always know He was what I was looking for.  Since coming to Christ, that hole is filled completely and a certain abundance of Joy flows from that.  So the searches that have occurred since then have been more along the lines of questioning God about what He is calling me to do.

In these processes and times I tend to fluctuate between a proactive and reactive strategy to God's will.  When in proactive mode, I am literally searching for answers, questioning friends, praying constantly, looking for any clue to help me get clarity. When in reactive mode I am just waiting on the Lord.  In some ways, this requires the most patience but also seems to make the most sense.  After all if He is in control, then my service needs to be in reaction to His clear objectives for my life at such times He reveals that to me.

Scripture seems to support both methods.  We are told to seek and we shall find, knock and the door will be opened...both proactive measures that get the desired results.  But we are also told to wait on the Lord as a sheep would a Shepherd in countless other places & illustrations.  This is especially relevant to my life right now as I feel a bit unsettled.  I have a tremendous feeling that I am supposed to be stepping up my Ministerial outreach.  I am not sure if that means a more official, pastoral role, or a continued "outside of the box" and "in the field" sort of thing.  I know fairly well what its not.  But I struggle to put a finger on what exactly this new-found urging in my soul actually is.

Your thoughts and experiences are most welcome!

0 comments: