Monday, July 16, 2012

Heroes & Hope 4.0


We live in trifling and uncertain times. I tend to highlight the more concerning topics fairly often. So in effort to be fair and balanced, it seems appropriate for me to present another series that highlights people, events, accomplishments, and the rays of light God gives us for encouragement sake.

Last week one such story came to my attention about a group of college kids from Texas A&M.  Having burnt orange blood in my veins its not often that I tip my hat toward the long-time rivals of UT.  But in this case I gladly do so and proudly highlight these Aggies as heroic.  You see the Westboro Baptist Church announced that they had plans on protesting Lt. Colonel Roy Tisdales funeral.  If you don't know anything about this group a quick Google search will bring you up to speed. 

Suffice it to say WBC is not a church in my opinion much less a Christian one.  They do not act Christ-like, they don't preach love and grace, they just preach condemnation and hate. They blame good soldiers like this one for the depravity of our current world protesting their funerals instead of allowing the proper honor and respect be given to them in death for their sacrifice for our country.  They are one of the worst kinds of groups around and give true Christian believers a black eye for every outsider they convince that they are authentic.

So my Aggie heroes had a protest of their own.  They formed what is now being called The Maroon Wall around the funeral proceedings.  Had the cowardly Westboro weenies showed up, they would not have been able to interrupt or discourage the family and friends of this fallen soldier because a wall of people stood between them and the services.  But the haters never showed.  They got wind of what they might have to face and went to another funeral that was easier to crash.  I think we can all learn something from these college students. I would love nothing more than to protect every single funeral from these folks!  To those of you in The Maroon Wall...I salute you!

For the full story...click HERE.

0 comments: