Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Disenfranchised

More than ever before I find myself disgruntled and disappointed with this country.  I don't find myself aligning with either political party or its candidates.  I don't find myself excited about our future.  I don't see a government that is By the People and certainly not FOR the People. 

The photo above really sums up how I feel.  And if you just take the first three words of the first sentence and leave everything else out...you are still left with a perfect point.  We The People are no longer represented.  We The People no longer have a voice.  We The People get run over more and more each day.

A friend of mine and reader of this blog always comments to posts like these and tells me "What do you expect from a fallen world and a country that has rejected God?  Put God first.  He is in control."  And he knows I put God first.  These comments I think are meant for encouragement and those that might be reading our exchanges. God is first in my life but not in my country.  That is a bitter sweet scenario.

It's sad but I actually think about living abroad sometimes or wishing that Texas would just drop out of the Union.  We were once a great country.  I hope we can be great again but I don't think that is in the cards.  Perhaps this is exactly how I should feel in light of Bible passages like these:

1 Peter 2:11
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

A born again Christian is an alien, a stranger, or in some translations a pilgrim or sojourner.  This tells me that even if I left this country or if Texas became its own nation, I still wouldn't find solace.  These are man-made solutions.  Where man's dirty fingers are, there also will be imperfect, fallen results.

E.T. Phone. Home.


0 comments: