Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Mayan Nonsense

December 21, 2012 is fast approaching.  If you believe the hype, you have only ten days left to live and should be working diligently on your bucket list.  As a Christian, I am careful not to slam others for having an End Times narrative.  They are right about an eventual end.  They are just wrong about it being in ten days.  Scripture says none shall know the day or hour of the end.  The great thing about that claim is anytime someone does predict a specific end date, you know it won't be that date.

Depending on what articles you read or what rumors you've heard though, the Mayans weren't even trying to suggest the end of the world.  Instead they are suggesting the end of a cycle.  What exactly changes as we leave this cycle and start a new one I suppose is up for speculation and debate.  But last night as I was mulling this entire scenario over in my mind a theory came to me.  Perhaps the Mayan calendar ends just because they stopped adding to it.  Imagine if for some reason I had to move out of my home quickly and left everything including the calendar I have on the wall behind.  Would it be logical for the people that discover my empty home to assume that because my calendar ends on December 31st that it must be so?

I know my theory may have some holes but apparently I am not alone in thinking of that.  A quick Google search led me to a NASA website where they have taken the liberty of answering some of the top questions people have about the Mayan calendar.  Here is a snippet that supports my intuition:

Click to enlarge

Feel free to visit the site and read more by clicking HERE.


0 comments: