Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Stuck In Rant Mode

Rant is a fairly new word in our vernacular.  As such the Urban Dictionary had to be consulted to help define it for you, as follows:

To speak aggressively about something, or to take your own tangent about a subject and talk for a long time in a passionate manner.

Word used when extremely annoyed.

My days of writing long blogs are over.  So save for the phrase "long time" I am satisfied with these as a general description of what blog authors often do when they have their sense of justice inflamed.  Some of my best works are proudly filed under the category of "Rant".  In fact its one of the main reasons I was attracted to the practice.  I never fancied myself much of a writer.  But I have always been passionate and never without something to aim that lens toward.

But it has its downside for sure.  And as of late I think I've been stuck in rant-mode.  Seeing life and the events around me as almost exclusively negative and aggravating   Whether its being put on hold for one minute too long or being asked an innocent but fiftieth question by one of my curious kids, I react like a grouch.  When I look in the mirror I want to see a loving man staring back. A man after God's own heart that is Christlike to his family, friends, neighbors, enemies, and yes...even that customer service agent that put me on hold too long.  I hereby confess that I have not been that guy...and I am sorry.  Forgive me if you somehow landed in the cross-hairs.

Even in the middle of a passionate gripe I know that I am part of the problem.  I know that the common denominator when "everything annoys me" is me.  I am a work-in-progress and may require a bit of patience.  For the moment, I've managed to get out of rant-mode.  I don't mind temporarily voicing disdain as a form of both personal therapy and a public service.  But letting my joy and contentment be permanently sacrificed on the rant altar is unacceptable.  I pray this confession also helps you to do the same.

0 comments: