Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Man's Way or God's?


This graphic appears on my Facebook Newsfeed from one of my atheist friends.  My comments was, "I don't know what relgion is but it sounds scary."  Of course I am only poking fun at the fact that the word religion was misspelled but even if it hadn't been, does this statement still have any kind of point?  Well perhaps to the surprise of most atheists, including the one that posted this, I think it does.  Religion spelled correctly still has big problems.  But I think it has problems because its is man's attempt at approaching God.  Man's way is always wrong, flawed, and fallen.  We try to put God into a box and then teach others how to view that box.

God's way is through Christ Jesus as its clearly states in Scripture. "I am the way, the truth, and the light.  No one comes to the Father but by me."  And since Jesus is a living person, this invitation is not for us to embrace rituals, denominations, flowing robes, rosary beads, candle lighting, pew sitting, liturgy reading, or memorized prayer recitation.  No its an invitation into a relationship.  Many people are shocked by the Bible passage where Jesus tells people, "Depart from me, for I never knew you." because the people He is saying this to are indeed religious.  They prophesied in His name, drove out demons, and did all kinds of Christian stuff.  But Jesus dismisses them and says there was no relationship.

Furthermore, when Jesus walked the earth...who was He the harshest with?  The Scribes and Pharisees (also known as the religious people).  He hates religion and rightly calls the people of that day who thought religion would save them, vipers and thieves.  He further insults them by calling them whitewashed tombs.  They are real pretty on the outside but contain rotten, decay on the inside.  I don't know about you but I am not looking for a club to be part of.  I am not looking for a secret dance or set of rituals that will make my life better or give me some false hope of eternal bliss.  I am looking for the real deal.  Authentic, sincere, love and relationship with my Creator who obviously had some reason for making this reality and setting me in it.  And so long as He is offering a relationship, I will accept the invite and send my regrets to those inviting me to join their religion.

1 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

love the graphic....and your poke was great.