Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Yesterday's Weather Reaction

On the heels of the Moore, Oklahoma devastation we in the Dallas area were warned that yesterday's storm systems had very serious potential to cause harm.  With the images of homes flattened to their foundations and first responders digging through the rubble to find survivors, it was all but impossible not to take their words to heart.  And so I spent a great deal of my morning and early afternoon praying for protection, praying for God Himself to intercede and calm the storm so that nothing fierce, like the predicted damaging winds, hail, and tornadoes would occur.

I picked up the kids early from school, excusing myself from work early as well, and we sat staring at the television.  As the red and green blobs of radar tracking moved across the screen we kept a sharp eye on Denton and the various other areas of DFW that our loved ones occupy.  And like unto a practical joke, nothing much more than your average thunderstorm manifested.  I was tempted to agree with friends like Jesse as he commented on Facebook:

Reality:  Light to heavy rain.
Mid-Day News Anchors:  AHHHHHH!!! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

Then I stopped myself and realized what I was doing.  I was denying the victory that clearly belonged to God for answering my prayers and the prayers of many others across the metroplex.  I had asked for this very thing.  For what looked like the most ominous storm system to be nothing more than Spring showers.  The weather forecasters were not wrong about the potential of that system.  They did not cry wolf.  There is a reason other than ratings that they warned us and a reason parents everywhere were taking their kids home early from school.  That really could have been everything it was predicted to be.

The fact that it wasn't?  To God be the glory rather than chalking it up to media hype.  I hope you will agree!

0 comments: