Thursday, July 25, 2013

I'm Unimpressed with Celebrity

Unimpressed
I must be strange.  I don't get excited about celebrities, royal babies, politicians, athletes, or any well known public figure.  I have nothing against them mind you.  I just never stop understanding that they are just people.  Granted I don't run into many of them in Dallas but I have had a few run-ins with various Cowboys and even an actor or two at the mall or DFW airport.

But even when I spot one, I don't make a fuss.  I don't run over and ask them to sign something for me, take a picture with me, or any favors that will interrupt their life.  Partly out of respect for their time and partly (as the title implies) I am not impressed.  I don't mean that to sound arrogant although its possible this is a pride issue at its core.  But more than anything I think it stems from the fact that people are all God-breathed creations that are special and worthy of our attention.  I don't see much value in giving extra attention to certain people because they are in the public eye.

And maybe that is why I just can't figure out why there is so much flurry and excitement over the birth of Kate and William's baby.  Their child is a wonderful blessing.  But so is the one that my close friend and his wife are about to have.  And in all honesty, I am much more excited about their baby than one located across the pond, who stands to possibly be the King of a country where that is only a title and holds no actual power.  That said, even if he had power, I still say..."Meh!'

0 comments: