Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Let's See Some Credentials!

I am not sure Jonah's motives for running away from God's assignment was purely motivated by fear.  Sure the Ninevites were a scary bunch.  Sure they were heathens and in Jonah's mind didn't deserve the opportunity to change their ways this late in the game.  But I wonder how much of his running away was due to his own insecurities, his own qualifications being doubted?  Perhaps what scared him most was thinking he couldn't possibly be the best man for the job.

Just recently but also many other times throughout my life I am put into a position that is unexpected.  In that position I am a leader, counselor, helper, or consultant of some sort.  There is an expectation that I will have an answer and some wisdom that will benefit a person, group, situation, or organization.  After I bask in the glow of the honor that comes from such opportunity, I kind of freak out. Who me?  They must not realize what a kid I still am.  They must not realize that I'm not as put together as they think.  They must have me confused for someone else.  Don't they check credentials?

Reality is, we are broken people serving broken people.  If we wait to be qualified to help or take a leadership role, we may never take it.  That mentality landed Jonah in the stinky belly of a whale.  No thanks.  I am a firm believer that God only gives us what we can handle.  Granted, I think He must have more confidence in me than I have.  Granted He has pushed that envelope further at times than I ever thought possible.  But He is at work, He is guiding the way, and who am I to run?  My credentials are in Christ Jesus.  He more than makes up for what I lack.

0 comments: