Monday, August 12, 2013

Back On The Horse

And by horse I actually mean bike.  And by bike I mean my Motobecane Record road bike not the BMX variety I might have piloted as a child.  This is the steed that has taken me across several MS150 finish lines and 30 to 50 mile workouts over the last decade.  But I will admit both me and the bike had to shake off some dust due to prolonged periods of neglect.  I am, despite having lost 30 pounds last Fall, back to my squishy state and poor cardio fitness level.  I haven't gained all 30 back but close to 20 which is just sad really.

So I decided to load the bike into the minivan and the entire family went to the in-laws for a swim.  The plan was to ride home which I originally calculated to be around 8 miles distance.  That kind of distance is nothing to brag about when most cyclists do a minimum of 30 per workout but closer to 60 if they have the time.  But I figured between the extreme summer heat and my conditioning this would be a good way to break my body in slowly.  So I took off and kept a pretty decent pace getting out of Bridalwood with an average MPH of 18.  I figured this should only take me about 30 minutes to get to the house so I left a little bit ahead of my wife hoping to arrive at the house about the same time.

Overall the ride was a good one.  It was good enough that I will excitedly look for another opportunity in the near future to venture out again.  But I underestimated three factors that ultimately made this first trek out a bit more miserable than it needed to be. (1) The heat.  This was around 4:30PM which is when the hottest part of the day is finally giving way to some cooler temps but in Dallas that can take hours.  It was like riding through warm butter.  It was stifling and made me constantly have to gulp water down, which in turn filled my stomach too fast and created a bit of nausea.  (2) The hills.  All cyclists have their love/hate relationship with hills.  When we are in top form, we love to conquer them and imagine we've just won king of the hill in the Tour De France.  When we are in squishy form, like I am, they are the bane of our existence.  This ride home had two really tough hills that almost brought me to my knees.  (3) The distance.  Thankfully I didn't underestimate this one too bad.  But I did end up travelling 10 miles instead of 8.  Despite all these factors and a five minute roadside break to catch my breath the total ride time was 40 minutes.

The endorphin's soon took over and I caught the bug to start working out again.  Let's see if I can't get back down to fighting weight again.

But no more riding in the heat!

0 comments: