Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hunger Games - Analysis Part 2 (The Game Show Host)

They could not have cast a better actor for this role.  Stanley Tucci is so over-the-top in this horrifically juxtaposed fake world verses the real world role he plays that it would be hilarious if not so accurate and therefore sad.  While the twelve districts are under Police State governance forced into slavery, being tortured, and barely surviving we have this all-teeth-smile and ever evolving bouffant hair-style of Ceasar Flickerman beaming through everyone's TV asking questions like, "What dress will Katniss wear to her wedding?  How did Peeta pop the question?  Have you set a date yet?"

I found myself wondering if this was supposed to be actually working on these enslaved people?  Wouldn't they instead be appalled by the notion that their minds could be swayed by such pomp, glitz, and glamour?  What do they care if some celebrity picks a pretty dress or not?  They have REAL problems and a REAL world that isn't all rainbows and roses to deal with.  Then it hit me.  Couldn't I ask myself and even you the same questions?  Granted I am much more blessed than those portrayed in this movie.  But am I any less the targeted viewer with any less the same goals in mind?  To keep me entertained and caring about what the Royals name their baby instead of what is really going on around me?

I contend that the author of this book series has keenly observed what is already happening and it was but a minuscule leap to create Ceaser Flickerman.  Isn't he just a few generations more exaggerated than talking heads like Ryan Seacrest? Granted, American Idol isn't a game of survival, starring young teens, whose only hope in getting to the next round is to be the most talented, always on-the-ready to eliminate their competition but...er, wait...that is exactly what it is, isn't it? If I've hit a nerve, I am not sorry.  But I will admit that no weapons are (thus far) part of American Idol or other shows just like it.  Weapons need not ever exist though if the goal is to distract us with bobbles and trinkets.

Are you guilty?

 

4 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

great stuff

Michael Paine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Paine said...

I've long held issue with a show that promotes Idolatry... it's in the name people...

Jim said...

Agreed. I could write a whole series on that topic as well!