Monday, November 17, 2014

Hunger Games - Analysis Pt. 1

My wife read the books.  I couldn't be bothered.  This lazy American was happy however, to get the cliff-note-Hollywood-version when it went to silver screen.  I mostly went to appease my fan-girl of a wife and thought to myself "it CANNOT be any worse than Twilight" and I was right. I enjoyed the first movie for its action, creativity, and did I mention it wasn't Twilight?  Furthermore I am quite the Jennifer Lawrence fan and this solidified her heroine qualities for me.

Fast forward to two nights ago and I finally get a chance to watch the second movie on Netflix.  Thinking it was mostly something to kill the time, I instead found myself in deep thought afterward, hardly able to sleep that night.  My wife, seeing that ever familiar look in my eye said, "Oh no, that movie got you thinking and you're going to be in analysis mode, being very quiet and driving me nuts now aren't you.  What are you even thinking about?"

My reply was something along these lines:

"Where do I start?  First you have the Police State theme that I think the USA is steadily headed towards.  Then you have the total media control of what gets shown, how the content is manipulated and spun for the people to see.  Then you have the parody of how the talk show host in all his buffoonery tries to keep the people brain dead and entertained so that they don't see what's really going on and revolt.  And that is even if I don't talk about the brilliance of how she figured out how to escape the dome and how that is just a visual metaphor of the fake world we live in, not unlike The Matrix or even The Truman show. I would stand up and give the salute she gives if it didn't look so much like the one Hitler used! And I wonder if that was intentional...?"

So as you can see I have several avenues I can and will explore but not all at once.  Hence the "part one" caveat in the title.  Let me get this out of the way though. I recognize this movie is no Oscar-worthy piece.  I recognize there are better movies that illustrate the same points.  BUT...I don't get out much anymore and this is what I have to work with for now, so forgive me for using what may not be your favorite narrative to do so.  Lest I break my rule of more than four paragraphs per post, I shall wrap up with this invitation.  Come back for part 2 where I tackle the Game Show Host angle of this movie.  See if you are guilty of what this author is clearly seeing in our modern society.  I know I am.  At least in part.

2 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

Good stuff, and don't forget to post about a culture without "the God factor". I wonder, and I'm sure you will explore, if this is what a culture would look like without God as part of life.

Jim said...

That is a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it and for reading today's post!