Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Should We Pray For Clarity?

I don't think we are committing a sin to ask God for help in making decisions.  We have countless Biblical examples of New and Old Testament characters seeking guidance and help from Almighty God.  But if you are like me we practically want to know the future when praying for clarity.  It's as though I believe choice A vs. choice B might have the Universe and its continued existence hanging in the balance if I choose incorrectly.  The fact is God will be on the other-side of either choice and will take care of us regardless of what we do.

Last night as I met with some men from church including my Pastor, he shared a story about Mother Teresa.  She was apparently approached at one point by John Kavanaugh who asked her to pray for him.  She asked specifically how she could pray and his reply is much like one I might give...for clarity.

"No," Mother Teresa answered, "I will not do that."  When he asked her why, she said, "Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and must let go of."  When Kavanaugh said that she always seemed to have clarity, the very kind he was looking for, Mother Teresa laughed and said: "I have never had clarity; what I always had is trust. So I will pray that you trust God."

As Pastor Steve uttered those last few words I was dumbfounded.  This pierced me to the marrow.  I stand guilty. I won't pretend to know the exact line between trust and clarity but I know I've crossed it.  Perhaps we need to adjust how we pray for answers.  As much as I WANT the right decision to be made or a sign from heaven on what to do next with my life, God's desire might just be for me to trust and hang on tight for the wild ride!

Thoughts?


0 comments: