First off...major props to J.J. Abrams for casting Daisy Ridley into this role. She was and is phenomenal. But straight to the speculation about the character she portrays on the silver screen...most are betting this is Luke's daughter and I happen to agree.
Clues that she is:
- Grew up, relatively alone on a Tatooine-like planet (Jakku), not truly understanding her origin story just like Luke and Anakin.
- Luke's light saber "called out to her" just like it did for Anakin and Luke.
- She is a natural with the force even without formal training, just like Anakin and Luke.
- The trailer has Mark Hamill’s voice saying the following:
“The force is strong in my family. My father had it. I have it, my sister has it, and YOU have it.”
Unless we get introduced to yet another character in the next film installment, this is a line of dialog aimed at Rey. And it would only make sense to reference all the other family members that have it, if indeed she is also a family member.
- Maz seems to know how significant Rey is and even offers her Luke's saber.
Reasons I might be wrong:
- Why would Luke abandon his daughter and if he did, why give her the cruddy existence we find her in at the beginning of the movie? Surely he could have left her with people he trusted on a lush planet rather than one where she appears to be taking care of herself and left to sell junkyard scraps for a half portion of food.
- We have no reason (yet) to believe Luke had a love interest or started a family, begging the question if Rey is his daughter…who is the Mamma!?
- Wouldn’t Leia know or at least “sense” Rey was her niece upon meeting her?
- Wouldn’t Kylo Ren know or at least “sense” he was fighting his cousin?
Please share your theories and add to this list in the comment section!